Firebase - best practice for session_start and user_engagement

Viewed 394

I just started to work with Firebase events. And I see a lot of garbage in data:

  1. I see "interactions" with os_update or app_update events with nothing more, so there is not actually a "session", but session_start is also sent.

Example:

app_update 12:00:01 
session_start 12:00:02 
session_start 13:00:05

So I can't count "clean" metrics, for example - average sessions per user per week, because there is such garbage.

  1. There are also "sessions" with only session_start event.

So, what I'm thinking:

  1. I can't find to set minimum session duration, setMinimumSessionDuration() method is obsolete.

  2. If I find a way to set minimum duration to 5sec There will be strange behavior, for example:


screen_view 12:00:01
session_start 12:00:04

It's strange that session start is after event and will be a loss of data, if user quit before session_start but have screen_view. Maybe it's okay to cut the garbage.

  1. If we set minimum duration to 5sec, to obviously we need to set minimum duration for firing user_engagement event, because it will be very strange to see user_engagement before session_start ot without session_start. So I think we should set minimum duration for user engagement like 10sec or 30sec.

So, how did you solved this problems? Any tips and tricks, what is the best practice? Thanks.

1 Answers

As @mr.frog correctly mentioned, the setMinimumSessionDuration() method is deprecated.

The current method to control the duration is the setSessionTimeoutDuration.

It doesn't look like there is a best practice or recommendations from Firebase when it comes the minimum session duration.

Related