I'm trying to visualize normals of triangles. I have created a triangle to use as the visual representation of the normal but I'm having trouble aligning it to the normal.
I have tried using glm::lookAt but the triangle ends up in some weird position and rotation after that. I am able to move the triangle in the right place with glm::translate though.
Here is my code to create the triangle which is used for the visualization:
// xyz rgb
float vertex_data[] =
{
0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f,
0.25f, 0.0f, 0.025f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f,
0.25f, 0.0f, -0.025f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f,
};
unsigned int index_data[] = {0, 1, 2};
glGenVertexArrays(1, &nrmGizmoVAO);
glGenBuffers(1, &nrmGizmoVBO);
glGenBuffers(1, &nrmGizmoEBO);
glBindVertexArray(nrmGizmoVAO);
glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, nmrGizmoVBO);
glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(vertex_data), vertex_data, GL_STATIC_DRAW);
glBindBuffer(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, nrmGizmoEBO);
glBufferData(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(index_data), index_data, GL_STATIC_DRAW);
glVertexAttribPointer(0, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 6 * sizeof(float), (void*)0);
glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);
glVertexAttribPointer(1, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 6 * sizeof(float), (void*)(3 * sizeof(float)));
glEnableVertexAttribArray(1);
glBindVertexArray(0);
and here is the code to draw the visualizations:
for(unsigned int i = 0; i < worldTriangles->size(); i++)
{
Triangle *tri = &worldTriangles->at(i);
glm::vec3 wp = tri->worldPosition;
glm::vec3 nrm = tri->normal;
nrmGizmoMatrix = glm::mat4(1.0f);
//nrmGizmoMatrix = glm::translate(nrmGizmoMatrix, wp);
nrmGizmoMatrix = glm::lookAt(wp, wp + nrm, glm::vec3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));
gizmoShader.setMatrix(projectionMatrix, viewMatrix, nrmGizmoMatrix);
glBindVertexArray(nrmGizmoVAO);
glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, 3, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, 0);
glBindVertexArray(0);
}
When using only glm::translate, the triangles appear in right positions but all point in the same direction. How can I rotate them so that they point in the direction of the normal vector?