Context
I created a Github Actions workflow that generates a .msi file that I wan't to execute afterwards to test if the application is working as expected.
The workflow implementation is as below
build-windows:
runs-on: windows-latest
steps:
- uses: actions/checkout@v2.3.4
- name: Create binary from branch
run: |
choco install make
make build-windows
- name: Generate msi
shell: powershell
run: .\.github\scripts\windows\gen-win.ps1
- name: Install msi
run: |
echo "Start Msiexec"
msiexec /qn /i "file.msi" /L*vx!
echo "End Msiexec"
Basically this workflow creates the .exe file (Create binary from branch step), then use a script in powershell that generates the .msi file (Generate msi step), and finally try to install the .msi file (Install msi step).
Issue
The problem occurs on the Install msi step, the runner logs only returns:
Start Msiexec
End Msiexec
... without showing any log, or creating the directories and files as the installation should do on the $HOME directory.
What I tried
Using the default shell for windows-latest runner (which is cmdlet), I tried to run those commands in the workflow without success, using "file.msi" or "path/to/file.msi":
msiexec /i "file.msi"
msiexec /qn /i "file.msi"
msiexec /qn /i "file.msi" /L*vx!
I'm not very familiar with the windows operating system, but for what I searched online, this msiexec command should work.
I also tried to install the .msi file generated manually on a windows 10 computer using those commands with success (so the generated .msi file is valid and working locally). However, it opens another prompt window automatically showing the installation and setup logs (it's not in the same terminal window) and I imagine this may not happen on Github Actions.
Question
➡️ How can I install this application from the .msi file through a command line on the windows-latest runner?