I am building a database for a school project, but for some reason I cannon make a foreign key reference between 2 tables (only those 2). My project has 14 tables and it works fine for all the others.
The tables are made like:
create table degree(
title varchar(50),
idryma varchar(40),
bathmida enum('High School', 'Univercity', 'Master', 'PHD'),
constraint degree_id primary key (title, idryma)
);
create table has_degree(
degree_title varchar(50),
degree_idryma varchar(40),
employee_username varchar(12),
acquisition_year year(4),
grade float(3,1),
constraint has_degree_id primary key (degree_title, degree_idryma, employee_username)
);
And then I try to alter the table so that I make the foreign key connections:
alter table has_degree add foreign key (degree_title) references degree(title);
alter table has_degree add foreign key (degree_idryma) references degree(idryma);
But I keep on getting
Error Code: 1824. Failed to open the referenced table 'degree'
I have tried to make them like that:
create table degree(
title varchar(50),
idryma varchar(40),
bathmida enum('High School', 'Univercity', 'Master', 'PHD'),
constraint degree_id primary key (title, idryma)
);
create table has_degree(
degree_title varchar(50),
degree_idryma varchar(40),
employee_username varchar(12),
acquisition_year year(4),
grade float(3,1),
foreign key (degree_title) references degree(title),
foreign key (degree_idryma) references degree(idryma),
/*employee is an other table that I use and that works just fine*/
foreign key (employee_username) references employee(employee_username),
constraint has_degree_id primary key (degree_title, degree_idryma, employee_username)
);
But the only thing that changes is that I get
Error Code: 1822. Failed to add the foreign key constraint. Missing index for constraint 'has_degree_ibfk_2' in the referenced table 'degree'