So obviously when prepping data for analysis, one of the first things to do is to look for missing values. It's nice if the values are already in a format recognized as missing by the language (e.g. NA in R), but sometimes you get values like these that are quite possibly just miscoded missing value indicators:
- "n/a"
- "not available"
- "incomplete"
- "unknown"
- "null"
- "nil"
- "not provided"
- " " (blank spaces)
- 99999999
- 9999-01-01
- "000-000-0000"
- "*"
- "-"
- [etc.]
My question: are there any packages can scan values in a dataframe and flags the ones that may be miscoded missing values, such as the ones above?
The only package I know of right now that does this is dataReporter in R via its identifyMissing function, but of the above values, only " ", "-", 99999999, and 9999-01-01 are detected as being potentially missing using this. I'm hoping for something more comprehensive than this, even if that results in some additional false negatives.
I primarily work in R but would be happy to have resources for other languages as well.