i am not sure to have understood why the elbow method is an approximate right way to determine a value of epsilon for DBSCAN algorithm. For instance, in the example below:
I considered the distance from the 5-th nearest neighbors and the points are arranged from the one with the minimum 5th-neighbor distance to the one that is at most distance from the 5th-neighbor.
I considered euclidean distane for the plot.
So i know that point 0-20, for instance, are the ones that are the most close to their 5-th nearest neighbor, then the points in the elbow are the one at intermediate distance from their 5-th nearest neighbor, and so they have a medium density. Then we reach point of very low density, far from their 5-th closest neighbor.
But I can't understand why it is reasonable to choose as the value of epsilon the distance between the k-th closest neigbor of points in the elbow.
Thanks for the help.
