Find historical node count of node pool

Viewed 431

We are running a Kubernetes cluster on AKS. The cluster runs on multiple node pools. Autoscaling is enabled to make sure nodes are added or removed when necessary.

I can see the current used amount of nodes by navigating to AKS -> Settings -> Node pools on the Azure Portal. However, I'm not able to get this information historically.

A question I want to find an answer for: How many nodes were active for node pool 'x' last night?

I couldn't find any metrics for the AKS and Virtual Machine Scale Set resources to answer my question. What are my options?

1 Answers

AFAIK there is not such a metric. a small workaround could be:

In the Portal go to your AKS -> Monitoring -> Metrics. In the Scope select your AKS, Scope Namespace is Container service and then you have the following metrics:

  • Cluster Health - determines if the autoscaler will take action on the cluster

  • Unneeded Nodes - autoscaler mark nodes for deletion

There you can see at least if scaling took place and how many nodes were deleted afterwards so you could calculate the amount of nodes.

Related