GitLab - Can I enable search by code or commits across all projects of GitLab?

Viewed 395

When I select all projects, I cannot search by commits or code. Can I enable search by code or commits across all projects?

Any project Select project

2 Answers

You can only do this across an entire instance for self-managed GitLab instances OR searching across repositories within a single organization/group in GitLab.com

For example, you can search across all of the gitlab-org group or any other group/namespace you have access to.

GitLab Group Search

Currently, GitLab has not enabled global code search on gitlab.com. However, self-hosted GitLab Premium and Ultimate customers can leverage the advanced search feature and enable global code search for a self-managed instance with Elasticsearch.

That might be because a true global code search does not seem to be implemented yet, as illustrated by issue 556 or issue 14597.

Which is why there are alternatives like phillipj/gitlab-search (but only to search for contents across all your GitLab repositories)

Related