I'm trying to create Kaplan-Meier life tables using a dplyr pipeline. I'm having trouble calculating the cumulative probability of survival without using a for loop. Here is some example data.
df <- tibble(
months = c(1, 3, 9, 13, 17, 20),
n_at_risk = c(10, 8, 7, 5, 3, 2),
cond_prob_event = c(0.100, 0.125, 0.143, 0.200, 0.333, 0.500),
cond_prob_surv = c(0.900, 0.875, 0.857, 0.800, 0.667, 0.50)
)
df
# A tibble: 6 × 4
months n_at_risk cond_prob_event cond_prob_surv
<dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl>
1 1 10 0.1 0.9
2 3 8 0.125 0.875
3 9 7 0.143 0.857
4 13 5 0.2 0.8
5 17 3 0.333 0.667
6 20 2 0.5 0.5
In this case, the cumulative probability of survival is calculated as the product of the previous (lagged) cumulative probability of survival and the current conditional probability of survival. I can get the answer I'm looking for using a for loop:
out <- vector(mode = "numeric", 6)
for (i in seq_along(df$cond_prob_surv)) {
if (i == 1) {
out[i] <- df$cond_prob_surv[i]
} else {
out[i] <- out[i - 1] * df$cond_prob_surv[i]
}
}
df$cum_prob_survival <- out
df
# A tibble: 6 × 5
months n_at_risk cond_prob_event cond_prob_surv cum_prob_survival
<dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl>
1 1 10 0.1 0.9 0.9
2 3 8 0.125 0.875 0.788
3 9 7 0.143 0.857 0.675
4 13 5 0.2 0.8 0.540
5 17 3 0.333 0.667 0.360
6 20 2 0.5 0.5 0.180
However, for reasons, I'd really like to find a dplyr only solution. Any help is greatly appreciated!