I have a map with an elevation raster that is in lat/long coordinates but I now need to display the map in easting/northing. How can I accomplish this?
I have tried reprojecting the raster from lat/long to UTM but this warps the map (I assume for reasons discussed in this SO post).
A minimal working example follows a description of the code that I am using to produce the map in lat/long coordinates. I used a manually defined bounding box, extent, to download the elevation raster of interest from FedData. I then plotted the raster using tmap.
# - Libraries ----
library(proj4)
library(FedData)
library(rgdal)
library(tmap)
# extent defined manually
extent <- rgeos::readWKT("POLYGON((-118.25 36.45, -118.25 36.6, -118.25 36.9, -118.8 36.9, -118.8 36.45, -118.25 36.45))")
# define shape polygon on lat/long coordinates
proj4string(extent) <- "+proj=longlat +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +no_defs"
# - Get national elevation raster ----
# download National Elevation Database elevation data in extent
# default resolution is 1 arcsecond (res="1);
# to get 1/3 arcsecond (res="13)
ned_raster<-FedData::get_ned(template=extent, label="ned_raster", res="1", force.redo = T)
# - Plot with tmap ----
tm_shape(ned_raster,unit.size=1)+
tm_graticules() +
tm_raster(legend.show=FALSE)
Update I'm updating the question with some additional clarification after Robert Hijmans' answer. I am including the code that I used for the reprojection here:
ned_raster2 <- raster::projectRaster(ned_raster, crs=CRS("+proj=utm +init=epsg:26711 +zone=11 +north +no_defs"))
The output is comparable to the one in the map you included in your answer. By modifying the bounding box with tmaptools::bb I can clip the map with tmap so that the projection is correct but it does not "appear" warped:
# - Project from angular to planar ----
ned_raster2 <- raster::projectRaster(ned_raster, crs=CRS("+proj=utm +init=epsg:26711 +zone=11 +north +no_defs"))
# redefine extent/bounding box
e2 = tmaptools::bb(ned_raster2)
e2 = e2*c(1.01,1.001,.99,.999)
# - Plot with tmap ----
tm_shape(ned_raster2,unit.size=1,bbox=e2)+
tm_graticules(n.x=5) +
tm_raster(legend.show=FALSE)
From this, how can I include the appropriate axes (in easting/northing) on this map?


