I'm building on Next.js app and when I install / import Plaiceholder (for generating placeholder images), I get the following error: Module not found: Can't resolve 'child_process'
- Node v14.18.0
- Next.js v11.1.2
- Plaiceholder v2.2.0
- Sharp v0.29.2
I understand this error message to mean that webpack5 is trying to bundle node packages that aren't available to the client. But I'm not clear why it is doing this. I haven't customized any of the webpack configs, and I can't find any mention of this issue in the Plaiceholder docs. How do I fix it?
NOTE: I want the base64 data URL to get created during the build, so that it available as soon as the page loads (not fetched asynchronously at run time).
Here's my next.config.js
module.exports = {
reactStrictMode: true,
};
My package.json only has scripts, dependencies, and devDependencies (nothing to change module resolution)
In case it's relevant, here's a simplified example using Plaiceholder:
import Image from "next/image";
import { getPlaiceholder } from "plaiceholder";
import React, { useState } from "react";
...
const { base64 } = await getPlaiceholder(imgUrl);
...
return (<Image
src={imgUrl}
placeholder="blur"
blurDataURL={base64}
/>);