We use Python's boto3 library to execute start_export_task to trigger a RDS snapshot export (to S3). This successfully generates a directory in S3 that has a predicable, expected structure. Traversing down through that directory to any particular table directory (as in export_identifier/database_name/schema_name.table_name/) I see several .parquet files.
I download several of these files and convert them to pandas dataframes so I can look at them. They are all structured the same and seem to clearly be pieces of the same table. But they range in size from 100KB to 8MB in seemingly unpredictable size segments. Do these files/'pieces' of the table account for all its rows? Do they repeat/overlap at all? Why are they segmented so (seemingly) randomly? What parameters control this segmenting?
Ultimately I'm looking for documentation on this part of parquet folder/file structure. I've found plenty of information on how individual files are structured and partitioning. But I think this falls slightly outside of those topics.