Suppose,
I have a table tblClasses and tblStudents
Now each class have multiple student.
tblClass
ID Name
1 ClassA
2 ClassB
3 ClassC
tblStudents
ID Name Class_ID
1. john 1
2. Mathew 1
3. Imran 2
4. Jenny 3
now, I have another server having exact same db and tables and I am copying data from server 1 to server 2 from same tables using the Select and Insert e.g.
insert into server2.dbo.tblClass (Name)
select Name from server1.dbo.tblClass
and for tblStudents
insert into server2.dbo.tblStudents (Name, Class_ID)
select Name, Class_ID from server1.dbo.tblStudents
now this is ok but the real problem is that in server2 after copying the data, how to populate the tblStudents fk Class_ID with the actual IDs of tblClass which are generated after inserting the data into tblStudents in server2 since PKs are Identity and autoincremented and cannot change the design.
What to do in this case?
In simple words, when a parent and child data are copied then in the child table the foreign key field needs to be populated with the actual IDs of the parent not the one from where it is copied which would be obviously different.
I am not allowed to change the table design or properties and have to do it using the queries.
Any suggestions?