It might take a while to explain what I'm trying to do but bear with me please.
I have the following infrastructure specified:

I have a job called questo-server-deployment (I know, confusing but this was the only way to access the deployment without using ingress on minikube)
This is how the parts should talk to one another:

And here you can find the entire Kubernetes/Terraform config file for the above setup
I have 2 endpoints exposed from the node.js app (questo-server-deployment)
I'm making the requests using 10.97.189.215 which is the questo-server-service external IP address (as you can see in the first picture)
So I have 2 endpoints:
- health - which simply returns
200 OKfrom thenode.jsapp - and this part is fine confirming the node app is working as expected. - dynamodb - which should be able to send a request to the
questo-dynamodb-deployment(pod) and get a response back, but it can't.
When I print env vars I'm getting the following:
ā kubectl -n minikube-local-ns exec questo-server-deployment--1-7ptnz -- printenv
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
HOSTNAME=questo-server-deployment--1-7ptnz
DB_DOCKER_URL=questo-dynamodb-service
DB_REGION=local
DB_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=local
DB_TABLE_NAME=Questo
DB_ACCESS_KEY=local
QUESTO_SERVER_SERVICE_PORT_4000_TCP=tcp://10.97.189.215:4000
QUESTO_SERVER_SERVICE_PORT_4000_TCP_PORT=4000
QUESTO_DYNAMODB_SERVICE_SERVICE_PORT=8000
QUESTO_DYNAMODB_SERVICE_PORT_8000_TCP_PROTO=tcp
QUESTO_DYNAMODB_SERVICE_PORT_8000_TCP_PORT=8000
KUBERNETES_SERVICE_HOST=10.96.0.1
KUBERNETES_SERVICE_PORT=443
KUBERNETES_PORT=tcp://10.96.0.1:443
KUBERNETES_PORT_443_TCP_PORT=443
KUBERNETES_PORT_443_TCP_ADDR=10.96.0.1
QUESTO_SERVER_SERVICE_SERVICE_HOST=10.97.189.215
QUESTO_SERVER_SERVICE_PORT=tcp://10.97.189.215:4000
QUESTO_SERVER_SERVICE_PORT_4000_TCP_PROTO=tcp
QUESTO_SERVER_SERVICE_PORT_4000_TCP_ADDR=10.97.189.215
KUBERNETES_PORT_443_TCP_PROTO=tcp
QUESTO_DYNAMODB_SERVICE_PORT_8000_TCP=tcp://10.107.45.125:8000
QUESTO_DYNAMODB_SERVICE_PORT_8000_TCP_ADDR=10.107.45.125
KUBERNETES_PORT_443_TCP=tcp://10.96.0.1:443
QUESTO_SERVER_SERVICE_SERVICE_PORT=4000
QUESTO_DYNAMODB_SERVICE_SERVICE_HOST=10.107.45.125
QUESTO_DYNAMODB_SERVICE_PORT=tcp://10.107.45.125:8000
KUBERNETES_SERVICE_PORT_HTTPS=443
NODE_VERSION=12.22.7
YARN_VERSION=1.22.15
HOME=/root
so it looks like the configuration is aware of the dynamodb address and port:
QUESTO_DYNAMODB_SERVICE_PORT_8000_TCP=tcp://10.107.45.125:8000
You'll also notice in the above env variables that I specified:
DB_DOCKER_URL=questo-dynamodb-service
Which is supposed to be the questo-dynamodb-service url:port which I'm assigning to the config here (in the configmap) which is then used here in the questo-server-deployment (job)
Also, when I log:
kubectl logs -f questo-server-deployment--1-7ptnz -n minikube-local-ns
I'm getting the following results:
Which indicates that the app (node.js) tried to connect to the db (dynamodb) but on the wrong port 443 instead of 8000?
The DB_DOCKER_URL should contain the full address (with port) to the questo-dynamodb-service
What am I doing wrong here?
Edit ----
I've explicitly assigned the port 8000 to the DB_DOCKER_URL as suggested in the answer but now I'm getting the following error:

Seems to me there is some kind of default behaviour in Kubernetes and it tries to communicate between pods using https ?
Any ideas what needs to be done here?
