What happened to old Firebase Analytics events report?

Viewed 456

After recent Firebase Console update can not find the report for select_content event by content type and then for selected content type by item_id. I used these reports for study my Apps behaviour by log them with:

Analytics.logEvent(AnalyticsEventSelectContent, parameters: [
  AnalyticsParameterItemID: "id-\(title!)",
  AnalyticsParameterItemName: title!,
  AnalyticsParameterContentType: "cont",
])

for iOS

or with:

Bundle bundle = new Bundle();
bundle.putString(FirebaseAnalytics.Param.ITEM_ID, id);
bundle.putString(FirebaseAnalytics.Param.ITEM_NAME, name);
bundle.putString(FirebaseAnalytics.Param.CONTENT_TYPE, "image");
mFirebaseAnalytics.logEvent(FirebaseAnalytics.Event.SELECT_CONTENT, bundle);

for Android.

1 Answers

I also had this problem but figured out a way to see some of the data again (without having to link my Firebase project to BigQuery):

  1. You need to add item_id as a custom parameter definition (Firebase/Analytics/Custom Definitions). Set scope to Event and Event Parameter to item_id. You can make dimension name whatever you want, but I just called it item_id. It could take a day for this change to propagate.

  2. You need to have a Google Analytics account. I already had one because that's what I was using before Google made mobile analytics users switch to Firebase. I'm pretty sure you can still create Google Analytics accounts for free.

  3. Link your Firebase project to google analytics by going to your Firebase project settings (gear icon next to project overview in the upper-left), selecting integrations, and then link to Google Analytics.

  4. In your linked Google Analytics project, you can use the explore function (on the left below reports) to do more advanced queries on the data.

  5. Create a new blank exploration.

  6. Add Content type and item_id to the available dimensions (hit the plus next to the Dimensions on the left.)

  7. Add Event count to metrics on the left.

  8. Drag both Content type and item_id to the Rows cell (below Segment Comparisons in the Tab Settings).

  9. Select Yes for Nested Rows.

  10. Drag Event count to the Values cell.

I've found that these are mostly sampled events (i.e. the results are just a sampling of the full data) if the dataset is large, but it's better than nothing!

Oh also, in Google Analytics settings (gear icon in the lower left), select Data Settings / Data Retention, and choose 14 months so you'll be able to query more data going forward. At least I hope this will work. I noticed I could only query 2 months of data so I just changed the setting.


Here are some screenshots of my setup...

Firebase custom parameter definitions ("String" is my own parameter that I use for some events.)

Custom parameter definitions


Select Content report in Google Analytics Explorer

Select content report in Google Analytics Explorer


Old select_content report in Firebase analytics. The item_id should show up as a custom parameter once you've added the custom definition, though it won't be correlated to the content_type.

Old select_content report in Firebase analytics

Related