I am trying to build a basic/shallow CNN auto-encoder for 1D time series data in pytorch/pytorch-lightning.
Currently, my encoding block is:
class encodingBlock(nn.Module):
def __init__(self):
super().__init__()
self.conv1d_1 = nn.Conv1d(1, 64, kernel_size=32)
self.relu = nn.ReLU()
self.batchnorm = nn.BatchNorm1d(64)
self.maxpool = nn.MaxPool1d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, return_indices=True)
self.fc = nn.Linear(64, 4)
def forward(self, x):
cnn_out1 = self.conv1d_1(x)
norm_out1 = self.batchnorm(cnn_out1)
relu_out1 = self.relu(norm_out1)
maxpool_out, indices = self.maxpool(relu_out1)
gap_out = torch.mean(maxpool_out, dim = 2)
fc_out = self.relu(self.fc(gap_out))
return fc_out, indices
And my decoding block is:
class decodingBlock(nn.Module):
def __init__(self):
super().__init__()
self.Tconv1d_1 = nn.ConvTranspose1d(64, 1, kernel_size=32, output_padding=1)
self.relu = nn.ReLU()
self.batchnorm = nn.BatchNorm1d(1)
self.maxunpool = nn.MaxUnpool1d(kernel_size=2, stride=2)
self.upsamp = nn.Upsample(size=59, mode='nearest')
self.fc = nn.Linear(4, 64)
def forward(self, x, indices):
fc_out = self.fc(x)
relu_out = self.relu(fc_out)
relu_out = relu_out.unsqueeze(dim = 2)
upsamp_out = self.upsamp(relu_out)
maxpool_out = self.maxunpool(upsamp_out, indices)
cnnT_out = self.Tconv1d_1(maxpool_out)
norm_out = self.batchnorm(cnnT_out)
relu_out = self.relu(norm_out)
return relu_out
However, looking at the outputs:
Input size: torch.Size([1, 1, 150])
Conv1D out size: torch.Size([1, 64, 119])
Maxpool out size: torch.Size([1, 64, 59])
Global average pooling out size: torch.Size([1, 64])
Encoder dense out size: torch.Size([1, 4])
...
Decoder input: torch.Size([1, 4])
Decoder dense out size: torch.Size([1, 64])
Unsqueeze out size: torch.Size([1, 64, 1])
Upsample out size: torch.Size([1, 64, 59])
Decoder maxunpool out size: torch.Size([1, 64, 118])
Transpose Conv out size: torch.Size([1, 1, 149])
The outputs from the MaxUnpool1d and ConvTranspose1d layers are not the expected dimension.
I have two questions that I was hoping to get some help on:
- Why are the dimensions wrong?
- Is there a better way to "reverse" the global average pooling than the upsampling procedure I have used?



