I'm trying to find the 4-neighbors of all 1's in a matrix of 0's and 1's using the J programming language. I have a method worked out, but am trying to find a method that is more compact.
To illustrate, let's say I have the matrix M—
] M=. 4 4$0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
and I want to generate—
0 0 1 0
0 1 0 1
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0
I've sorted something close (which I owe to this little gem: https://www.reddit.com/r/cellular_automata/comments/9kw21u/i_made_a_34byte_implementation_of_conways_game_of/)—
] +/+/(|:i:1*(2 2)$1 0 0 1)&|.M
0 0 1 0
0 1 2 1
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0
which is fine because I'll be weighting the initial 1's anyway (and the actual numbers aren't really that important for my application anyway). But I feel like this could be more compact and I've just hit a wall. And the compactness of the expression actually is important to my application.