Is there a way to stop VS Code Remote SSH from failing after it is disconnected?

Viewed 832

I find that if I leave my VS Code Remote SSH connection open it disconnects automatically after a certain amount of time. Following automatic disconnection I find the Remote SSH then fails: when I try to log in again I get repeated requests for my remote password and every time I enter my password I just get another password prompt.

My current workaround is to go to the Command Palette and do "Remote-SSH: Kill VS Code Server on Host". Sometimes I need to do this multiple times for it to take effect. Then when I next log in there is a lengthy VS Code installation script that needs to run before I can start coding again.

Is there a way of setting up VS Code Remote SSH that avoids this issue? I have tried some of the suggestions on this page - https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/remote/troubleshooting. However I feel like I am completely in the dark regarding what the underlying issue is. I do not even know how I could go about generating informative diagnostics / a log.

1 Answers

Maybe the problem is that the remote machine has a limited number of proccess to run at same time. When a automatic disconnection of vscode happen, the that session is still running, but you cannot create a new one because you are over the limit in number of process.

In my case, asking to the remote machine to kill my process (manually done by the technician working in that machine in this case) works.

A better solution will be close the vscode sessions from your machine, to be able to start a new one again.

Related