Disclaimer: I am really not well experienced with neither svelte, nor D3, nor general JavaScript patterns. But I really like it, so I really want to learn it and already invested quite some time. Still, this feels like a super basic question that annoys me a lot. I hope it is not too confusing and someone might has an idea.
It is basically about how to setup a simple graph (let it be a bar chart) in an efficient, reproducible and "best-practice" way. I guess my main concern is on how to pass around the data and use it for different tasks. E.g. I think it might be a good idea to separate out the construction of the scales (using d3) in a separate component. However, this component needs access to the data (and probably also access to the, in the best case resposive width, of the chart-container).
However, also the bars, which are in another component, need access to the data in order to know how do draw the rectangles.
A general misunderstanding (i guess that is the right word) I have with JavaScript is that I do not understand how to fetch data asynchronously (using e.g. the browsers fetchor D3's csvmethod). I simply can not fetch the data and then pass it as prop to another component. Because what I would be passing would be a promise...
So I have this very basic REPL that kind of shows a bit this know I have in my head: https://svelte.dev/repl/398f4c21b7a9409a9811fd8e38703a36?version=3.44.1
It looks like this. In the App.html I fetch the data that I want to use for multiple purposes. However I cannot "get it out" of that component.
<script>
import Chart from "./Chart.svelte"
const url = "https://api.github.com/search/repositories?q=stars:>100000";
async function getData(){
let response = await fetch(url)
let data = await response.json()
console.log(data)
}
//async function getDataLocal(){
// let data = await d3.csv(<path_to_data>)
// return await data
// }
let data = await getData()
</script>
<Chart {data}>Do Something with the data. Make the chart, build the scales, ....</Chart>
So the main questions are:
Are there any ressources on how to learn building sustainable graphics with remote data,
svelteand a bit ofD3. I already watched many many youtube videos and I guess I will rewatch the one from Matthias Stahl;)Is it a good idea to use stores in such a case to store the data
And a little more specific: As the data is (probably) fixed, however the dimension arent't: What is a good way/place to let the app know to recalculate the scales etc.