I have found R's default plots to be poorly aliased. As a solution, I set Cairo as the graphics device, and now the plots look much better.
Unfortunately, using Cairo has created another issue, which is that for some reason, I am not able to apply the font that I was using when the graph was displayed in the plot window (in the left-hand diagram above, Cambria is used, but the right-hand diagram fails to apply this font).
Here is my code:
library(readxl)
library(scales)
library(ggplot2)
library(dplyr)
library('Cairo')
windowsFonts(Cam = windowsFont("Cambria"))
dataset <- read_excel('CW Data.xlsx')
colnames(dataset)[4] <- "Broadband Subs (%)"
options(scipen = 1000)
# Scatter plot FDI~GDP with regression line
CairoWin()
ggplot(dataset, aes(x=`2019 GDP ($bn)`, y=`2019 FDI ($m)`)) +
geom_point(size=3, shape=1) +
geom_smooth(method='lm',formula=y~x, se=FALSE, color='black') +
scale_x_continuous(label = comma) + scale_y_continuous(label=comma) +
theme(panel.background = element_rect(fill="peachpuff"),
plot.background = element_rect(fill="peachpuff")) +
theme(panel.grid.major = element_line(colour = "gray72"),
panel.grid.minor = element_line(colour = "gray72")) +
theme(text = element_text(family = "Cam"))
ggsave("FDI~GDP.png", device="png", type = "cairo")
And here is a OneDrive link for the Excel data that I am using

