Safari textarea resize handle broken with padding?

Viewed 247

This code works fine in Chrome and Firefox. But in Safari, the drag handle won't work if there is padding beyond 11px.

Is this a bug in Safari, or is there something silly I'm missing?

<style>
textarea {
  padding: 11px 16px;
}
</style>

<textarea>Stuff goes here. Does my drag handle work?</textarea>
1 Answers

I ran into the same problem yesterday, and have unfortunately not been able to find a direct solution to this problem.

As an alternative, you can ditch the resize handle entirely, and look into making your text area auto-resizable. Personally, I feel like this makes for a better design anyways. You completely avoid the problems of the resize handle, and your users get the additional space they need for their text, without having to mess around with a tiny handle themselves.

This post has some good examples on how this can be achieved.

Related