I'm trying to switch over my current setup for Neovim (using Vim Plug) to Packer and I'm having trouble.
My Neovim is loaded from ~/.config/nvim/init.lua which sources all of my plugin and other settings. They live mostly inside of a ~/lua folder (the "main Imports") section of my configuration, including my actual plug-plugins.lua file that references all of my plugins.
-- Main Imports
require("settings")
require("colors")
require("mappings")
require("functions")
require("autocommands")
require("plug-plugins")
...
Later in the same init.lua file, I'm sourcing plugin specific settings for all of these plugins. In order to get my directory working currently, I'm installing everything with :PlugInstall and it works fine.
...
-- Plugin-specific settings
require("plugin-settings/fzf")
require("plugin-settings/fugitive")
require("plugin-settings/ultisnips")
require("plugin-settings/coc")
require("plugin-settings/treesitter")
require("plugin-settings/miscellaneous")
require("plugin-settings/toggle-terminal")
Installing Packer
The installation steps for Packer are pretty sparse, and merely state that you should clone the repository to somewhere in your "packpath" but I'm not really clear what that means. When I'm inside Neovim, and I press :set packpath? I get the following paths:
packpath=~/.config/nvim,/etc/xdg/nvim,~/.local/share/nvim/site,/usr/local/share/nvim/site,/usr/share/nvim/site,/usr/local/Cellar/neovim/HEAD-b74916c_1/share/nvim/runtime,/usr/local/Cel
lar/neovim/HEAD-b74916c_1/lib/nvim,/usr/share/nvim/site/after,/usr/local/share/nvim/site/after,~/.local/share/nvim/site/after,/etc/xdg/nvim/after,~/.config/nvim/after
This makes me think that I'm able to just clone the respository to ~/.config/nvim which is the first path listed. I'm not really sure what to do next though, or if this is even right.
Can anyone help? What are the basic steps to getting Packer installed (I'm on MacOS 11.6).