I have a dataframe in long format with data on a 15 min interval for several variables. If I apply the resample method to get the average daily value, I get the average values of all variables for a given time interval (and not the average value for speed, distance).
Does anyone know how to resample the dataframe and keep the 2 variables?
Note: The code below contains an EXAMPLE dataframe in long format, my real example loads data from csv and has different time intervals and frequencies for the variables, so I cannot simply resample the dataframe in wide format.
import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
dti = pd.date_range('2015-01-01', '2015-12-31', freq='15min')
df = pd.DataFrame(index = dti)
# Average speed in miles per hour
df['speed'] = np.random.randint(low=0, high=60, size=len(df.index))
# Distance in miles (speed * 0.5 hours)
df['distance'] = df['speed'] * 0.25
df.reset_index(inplace=True)
df2 = df.melt (id_vars = 'index')
df3 = df2.resample('d', on='index').mean()