I would be very grateful indeed for some help for a frustrated and confused Python beginner.
I am trying to create a script that searches a windows directory containing multiple subdirectories and different file types for a specific single string (a name) in the file contents and if found prints the filenames as a list. There are approximately 2000 files in 100 subdirectories, and all the files I want to search don't necessarily have the same extension - but are all in essence, ASCII files.
I've been trying to do this for many many days but I just cannot figure it out.
So far I have tried using glob recursive coupled with reading the file but I'm so very bewildered. I can successfully print a list of all the files in all subdirectories, but don't know where to go from here.
import glob
files = []
files = glob.glob('C:\TEMP' + '/**', recursive=True)
print(files)
Can anyone please help me? I am 72 year old scientist trying to improve my skills and "automate the boring stuff", but at the moment I'm just losing the will.
Thank you very much in advance to this community.