installing GSL library for C programming in windows

Viewed 562

I want to install the GSL library (https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/) in windows. I have downloaded the files but i do not know what to do apart from that in order to be able to use the functions of the library (apart from the #include <...> in my program.c file). I am using visual studio code and i have installed mingw.

Thanks in advance


EDIT

I am adding more information about this issue. I am not the original poster, but I have the same problem.

I am trying to use the GSL and I work with Visual Studio Code on Windows 10.

I have already installed the basic packages to work with C/C++ in Visual Studio Code. More precisely, if I am not wrong, VS Code is using the compiler gcc.exe from mingw64 (last version). This was installed using an 'extension' available at VS Code (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vscode.cpptools).

I downloaded the last version of the GSL (2.7) and unzipped it.

I get stuck when I try to follow the installation instructions. When I execute either .\configure or ./configure in the DOS command line, I get an error of "unknown command" (even if I am placed in the same directory where the file is stored).

When I execute .\configure in PowerShell, I get a message asking me which programme should be used to open this file.

And here is where I get lost. :/

I have discovered an alternate path, which is installing GSL from vcpkg (https://vcpkg.io/). This is suggested by VS Code, actually. This vcpkg seems to be a programme by Microsoft to make it easier to install third-party C/C++ packages in Windows.

The specifications to install vcpkg are (https://vcpkg.io/en/getting-started.html):

  • Windows 7 or newer
  • Git
  • Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 or newer

I can try this path, but first I would like to be sure there is no easier way (installing Visual Studio to not really use it seems a lot to me!).

0 Answers
Related