I am currently using the NERD commenter plugin to define certain mappings that allow me to comment/uncomment blocks of code. One of the default mappings is:
[count]<leader>c<space>Toggles the comment state of the selected line(s). If the topmost selected line is commented, all selected lines are uncommented and vice versa.(NERDCommenterToggle)
I have remapped this options using nmap <C-_> <plug>NERDCommenterToggle and vmap <C-_> <plug>NERDCommenterToggle
My intention is to toggle between commented and uncommented in normal and visual mode using <C-_>.
The conflict arises because I have set the spacebar as my leader key and I have also set it up as a remap for folding: nnoremap <space> za.
When I put all of this together on my .vimrc pressing <C-_> folds the part of the document if it is "foldable", otherwise it toggles the comments.
The only reason that I can think of for this to happen is that, behind the scenes, <C-_> is still calling the default mapping of the plugin, which, because it contains the leader key, which is mapped to the spacebar is folding the code.
I am not that deep into vimscript, so I don't know if this is the intended behavior but it seems to me very weird that even though I have remapped the NERDCommenterToggle command, it still calls the default map. I was under the impression that the <plug> handles were used to avoid this kind of problems.
If this is indeed the intended behavior, is there a way to create a map to NERDCommenterToggle without it conflicting with the original mapping?
EDIT:
I removed the mapping of my leader key to space and the problem persists, which doesn't make any sense to me. Basically now I have the maps:
nmap <C-_> <plug>NERDCommenterTogglennoremap <space> za
and for some reason they interfere with each other and pressing "control + /" (<C-_>) triggers the folding maps.