Is there a way in C# rx to handle backpressure? I'm trying to call a web api from the results of a paged query. This web api is very fragile and I need to not have more than say 3 concurrent calls, so, the program should be something like:
- Feth a page from db
- Call the web api with a maximum of three concurrent calls per each record on the page
- Save the results back to db
- Fetch another page and repeat until there are no more results.
I'm not really getting the sequence that I'm after, basically the db gets all the records regardless of whether they can be processed or not.
I've tried a variety of things including tweaking at the ObserveOn operator, implementing a semaphore, and a few other things. Could I get a little bit of guidance to implement something like this?
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Reactive.Concurrency;
using System.Reactive.Linq;
using System.Reactive.Threading.Tasks;
using System.Threading;
using System.Threading.Tasks;
using Castle.Core.Internal;
using Xunit;
using Xunit.Abstractions;
namespace ProductValidation.CLI.Tests.Services
{
public class Example
{
private readonly ITestOutputHelper output;
public Example(ITestOutputHelper output)
{
this.output = output;
}
[Fact]
public async Task RunsObservableToCompletion()
{
var repo = new Repository(output);
var client = new ServiceClient(output);
var results = repo.FetchRecords()
.Select(x => client.FetchMoreInformation(x).ToObservable())
.Merge(1)
.Do(async x => await repo.Save(x));
await results.LastOrDefaultAsync();
}
}
public class Repository
{
private readonly ITestOutputHelper output;
public Repository(ITestOutputHelper output)
{
this.output = output;
}
public IObservable<int> FetchRecords()
{
return Observable.Create<int>(async (observer) =>
{
var page = 1;
var products = await FetchPage(page);
while (!products.IsNullOrEmpty())
{
foreach (var product in products)
{
observer.OnNext(product);
}
page += 1;
products = await FetchPage(page);
}
observer.OnCompleted();
})
.ObserveOn(SynchronizationContext.Current);
}
private async Task<IEnumerable<int>> FetchPage(int page)
{
// Simulate fetching a paged query.
await Task.Delay(500).ToObservable().ObserveOn(new TaskPoolScheduler(new TaskFactory()));
output.WriteLine("Fetching page {0}", page);
if (page >= 4) return Enumerable.Empty<int>();
return Enumerable.Range(1, 3).Select(_ => page);
}
public async Task Save(string id)
{
await Task.Delay(50); //Simulates latency
}
}
public class ServiceClient
{
private readonly ITestOutputHelper output;
private readonly SemaphoreSlim semaphore;
public ServiceClient(ITestOutputHelper output)
{
this.output = output;
this.semaphore = new SemaphoreSlim(2);
}
public async Task<string> FetchMoreInformation(int id)
{
try
{
output.WriteLine("Calling the web client for {0}", id);
await semaphore.WaitAsync(); // Protection for the webapi not sending too many calls
await Task.Delay(1000); //Simulates latency
return id.ToString();
}
finally
{
semaphore.Release();
}
}
}
}