At the moment I have the following member variable in a class:
BYTE *m_pbyImportColumnMappings;
In one of the classes we attempt to read existing data from the registry, and if it is not present, we allocate it. So far, I have changed it like this:
void CImportOCLMAssignmentHistoryDlg::ReadSettings()
{
UINT uSize;
m_dwImportFlags = theApp.GetNumberSetting(theApp.GetActiveScheduleSection(_T("Options")),
_T("ImportFlags"), ImportAssignment::None);
theApp.GetProfileBinary(theApp.GetActiveScheduleSection(_T("Options")),
_T("ImportColumnMappings"), (LPBYTE*)&m_pbyImportColumnMappings, &uSize);
// Reset memory buffer (if required)
if (uSize != (sizeof(BYTE) * 15))
{
if (uSize > 0)
{
delete[] m_pbyImportColumnMappings;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings = nullptr;
}
m_pbyImportColumnMappings = new BYTE[15];
// Default values
const gsl::span column_mappings(m_pbyImportColumnMappings, 15);
std::fill(begin(column_mappings), end(column_mappings), -1);
/*
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[0] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[1] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[2] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[3] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[4] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[5] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[6] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[7] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[8] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[9] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[10] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[11] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[12] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[13] = -1;
m_pbyImportColumnMappings[14] = -1;
*/
}
}
My initial change was to use a gsl::span to suppress several warnings about using pointer arithemetic. But I don't know how to turn m_pbyImportColumnMappings into a smart pointer, given the fact that we are attempting to initially populate it from GetProfileBinary.
If I could turn it into a smart pointer then I would not need to deallocate the memory when the class goes out of scope.
In a related answer this code was suggested:
theApp.GetProfileBinary(strSection, strEntry,
reinterpret_cast<LPBYTE*>(&pALI), &uBytesRead);
std::unique_ptr<BYTE[]> cleanup(reinterpret_cast<BYTE*>(pALI));
But, I am not sure how to apply that cleanup method given teh fact we are dealing with a member variable of the class as opposed to an isolated variable in a function.