How to fix "You must enable Billing on the Google Cloud Project" on a Project will Billing enabled?

Viewed 4377

I'm trying to replace the API key for a website I made that takes a given address and renders it in Google maps. When I try and use it I get thisgoogle maps error

and this

You must enable Billing on the Google Cloud Project at https://console.cloud.google.com/project/_/billing/enable Learn more at https://developers.google.com/maps/gmp-get-started

When I click the link to add billing, nothing changes. When I check on my billing account to see if it's attached to the project housing the key, it is connected. When I check the project itself to see if it has billing, it says it does.

The other person who asked a very similar question had people saying to create a brand new project and a brand new billing account. I tried this and I'm still having the problem. I also tried to create a new billing account as a "Google Maps Platform" as another user suggested

(His screenshot) create new billing maps platform but that option does not exist for me.

(My Screenshot on the same page) create new billing

I'm at a complete loss here. Are there any other solutions people have found for this issue?

1 Answers

This error often means there is a problem with the Google Payments account associated with the billing account. Double-check that your payment information is correct. Some credit/debit cards do not work with Google payments.

You can test that your card works by making a small prepayment on your account. However, success does not mean that the credit/debit card can be used for recurring payments (that is an issue with some countries) but the prepayment will allow you to use the account (in most cases).

Google Payments Account

Another item to double-check is the type of billing account. There are two: Google Cloud Platform and Google Maps Platform. In the Google Billing Accounts page, look for Enabled Google service., It should show Google Maps Platform.

Google Maps Platform Billing

From your screenshot, I see that you are in India. Most credit/debit cards from India refuse Google payments. If this is the case, you will need to use a different credit/debit card or you will need to prepay your account. Other options are to switch to invoiced billing or set up an account with a Google partner.

(Customers in India) Automatic payments declined due to Reserve Bank of India (RBI) regulations

The following links provide options:

Make a manual payment or pay early

Apply for monthly invoiced billing

Find the right Google Cloud partner

Related