GitHub Error: RPC failed; curl 92 http/2 stream 0 was not closed cleanly: CANCEL (err 8) | send-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband

Viewed 4908

I am working on a project with a GitHub repo. I've been able to "add *", "commit" and "push" everything without a problem in the last 3 months. Now I downloaded a dataset containing about 12 GB of data and I have created a new folder for it.

I made some minor changes to the file that was already in the repo (for 3 months) and did "add *", "commit" and "git push".

After counting and compressing the objects, Git Bash throws up this error:

GitHub Error: RPC failed; curl 92 http/2 stream 0 was not closed cleanly: CANCEL (err 8)
send-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
...
fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
Everything up-to-date

This is happening probably while writing the objects.

I have tried the following:

  • set GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1
  • set GIT_TRACE=1
  • set GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1
  • git config --global http.postBuffer 100000000
  • git config --global https.postBuffer 100000000

After the latest attempt with all of the solutions mentioned above, this additional error was thrown after getting to 50% of writing the objects:

remote: fatal: pack exceeds maximum allowed size

A screenshot of the error on Git Bash

So, my question is: 1. Why is this happening? 2. How can I work around/solve this problem and successfully push my current workspace onto GitHub?

2 Answers

I solved this problem by bypassing it with this tutorial:

https://githowto.com/removing_commits_from_a_branch

ATTENTION: Remember to make a copy of your code before proceeding. You can still go back since you aren't deleting commits but it's annoying when you have to follow the tutorial twice.

ALSO: The git hist command is an alias. This is the one I copied:

git config --global alias.hist "log --pretty=format:'%C(yellow)[%ad]%C(reset) %C(green)[%h]%C(reset) | %C(red)%s %C(bold red){{%an}}%C(reset) %C(blue)%d%C(reset)' --graph --date=short"

LINK: https://gist.github.com/ecasilla/9669241

1. Why is this happening?

  • Because you are trying to push a large file. (12 GB dataset)

2. How can I work around/solve this problem and successfully push my current workspace onto GitHub?

  • You can use Git Large File Storage that replaces large files such as audio samples, videos, datasets, and graphics with text pointers inside Git, while storing the file contents on a remote server like GitHub.com
Related