How do I test a webm videostream using jmeter?

Viewed 104

AFAIK there are 2 video streaming plugins available for JMeter:

  • BlazeMeter - HLS Plugin and
  • UbikLoadPack Video Streaming plugin

UbikLoadPack as a prohibitive pricing tag and HLS Plugin doesn't test the format I need. Also I want a FOSS solution not a paid one.

Does anyone know of some other plugin or method I could test a webm video stream ?

Edit

@dmitri-t when I try to do this it just hangs. Here I found this script that shows how to test a video. But when I changed the parameters to my video and range to 0-100 it hanged. Also the example is using HTTP and my video uses HTTPS.

Tried to include a timer. It hangs also.

Yet the video loads perfectly in Chrome with the same url I used in Jmeter.

I also tested the request with Postman. It ignores the range header. So what's probably happening in JMeter is that it's trying to load the whole continuous stream. How do I make it consider range header ?

I tested with Postman on an image in the same server to see if range header was being considered or if it was a server problem and range was respected correctly.

Content-Range header doesn't work also. Please check this related question I did relative to the range problem with streams: Request to a webm stream ignores range header

1 Answers

I don't think you need any form of plugin, you can simulate the browser playing the video using normal HTTP Request sampler sending simple HTTP GET request

Here is the evidence that "playing" an webm "stream" is nothing more than downloading it.

enter image description here

It would be a good idea to add Timers to simulate users watching the video till the end (or according to your test case)

Related