How to prevent Spyder 5 from lagging, which makes the editor unusable on large files?

Viewed 491

I installed the latest Spyder on a new Windows machine but I experience a serious lag (few seconds) while typing that makes the editor non functional.

To reproduce the problem:

  • Open a large script (I need to edit one that has 3000 lines of code).
  • The lag is minimal at first, but as I leave the editor open for several hours it becomes unusable.
  • Let say I continuously type random characters for 2 seconds, then pause for 1s, then repeat.
  • I will see my typing at first, but at some point the editor will stall for as much as 4 seconds and then empty the keyboard buffer on screen before freezing again for 4 seconds.

The following attempts did not help :

  • Reducing de size of the Sypder Editor (non full screen)
  • Unchecking "Enable code completion and linting in the editor"

The only thing that helps is to restart the Spyder editor every hour or so.

Installed using the command conda install spyder

Packages versions:

  • spyder 5.0.5
  • qt 5.9.7
  • pyqt 5.9.2

on Windows 10 Pro 19043.1288

Does anyone have a work around for this problem?

0 Answers
Related