Missing "DockerVersion" field value when inspecting docker image after build by Dockerfile

Viewed 118

I have built a docker image through Dockerfile with the docker build command. If I check the generated image with the docker inspect command, then I can see an empty "DockerVersion" value.

$ docker build -t myimage:latest .
$ docker inspect myimage:latest
...
"Container": "...",
"ContainerConfig": {
    ...
},
"DockerVersion": "",
"Author": "",
"Config": {
...

This occurs not just for a specific Dockerfile but for all Dockerfile built on my local environment.

I built docker images on a Mac and the Docker Engine version is 20.10.8 (Docker Desktop).

Dockerfile is a very simple file with only a few lines with no special content.

The build was also executed with docker build -t xxxx:xxxx . without any special features.

Have any of you ever had this kind of experience?

1 Answers

That happens also on the images build on my Windows 10 machine with Docker Desktop running under WSL2. And it's a normal behavior.

Those fields, like DockerVersion, Author and so on, are part of the Docker images, but they're not used anymore as they're not part of the standard for open containers.

On the opposite, the Open Containers Initiative (OCI) has defined a standard set of annotations to use in all the image manifests.

Related