Find specific char inside delimiter

Viewed 66

I have this string:

(40.959953710949506, -74.18210638344726),(40.95891663745299, -74.10606039345703),(40.917472246121065, -74.09582940498359),(40.921752754230255, -74.16397897163398),(40.95248644043785, -74.21067086616523)

I need to grab the commas inside the parentesis for further processing, and I want the commas spliting the groups to remain.

Let's say I want to replace the target commas by FOO, the result should be:

(40.959953710949506 FOO -74.18210638344726),(40.95891663745299 FOO -74.10606039345703),(40.917472246121065 FOO -74.09582940498359),(40.921752754230255 FOO -74.16397897163398),(40.95248644043785 FOO -74.21067086616523)

I want a Regular Expression that is not language specific.

3 Answers

You can just use a lookaround to find all , that are not preceded by a ) like this:

(?<!\)),

I don't want some language specific functions for this

The format of the above regex is not language specific as can be seen in the following Code Snippet or this regex101 snippet:

const x = '(40.959953710949506, -74.18210638344726),(40.95891663745299, -74.10606039345703),(40.917472246121065, -74.09582940498359),(40.921752754230255, -74.16397897163398),(40.95248644043785, -74.21067086616523)';

const rgx = /(?<!\)),/g;

console.log(x.replace(rgx, ' XXX'));

For example:

import re

s = "(40.959953710949506, -74.18210638344726),(40.95891663745299, -74.10606039345703),(40.917472246121065, -74.09582940498359),(40.921752754230255, -74.16397897163398),(40.95248644043785, -74.21067086616523)"
s = re.sub(r",(?=[^()]+\))", " FOO", s)
print(s)

# (40.959953710949506 FOO -74.18210638344726),(40.95891663745299 FOO -74.10606039345703),(40.917472246121065 FOO -74.09582940498359),(40.921752754230255 FOO -74.16397897163398),(40.95248644043785 FOO -74.21067086616523)

We use a positive lookahead to only replace commas where ) comes before ( ahead in the string.

Use re.sub with a callback function:

inp = "(40.959953710949506, -74.18210638344726),(40.95891663745299, -74.10606039345703),(40.917472246121065, -74.09582940498359),(40.921752754230255, -74.16397897163398),(40.95248644043785, -74.21067086616523)"
output = re.sub(r'\((-?\d+(?:\.\d+)?),\s*(-?\d+(?:\.\d+)?)\)', lambda m: r'(' + m.group(1) + r' FOO ' + m.group(2) + r')', inp)
print(output)

This prints:

(40.959953710949506 FOO -74.18210638344726),(40.95891663745299 FOO -74.10606039345703),(40.917472246121065 FOO -74.09582940498359),(40.921752754230255 FOO -74.16397897163398),(40.95248644043785 FOO -74.21067086616523)

The strategy here is to capture the two numbers in each tuple in separate groups. Then, we replace by connecting the two numbers with FOO instead of the original comma.

Related