Slurm jobs queued but not running

Viewed 769

I'm trying to install slurm on Virtualbox running Ubuntu. We're using it to run long-running jobs via a web interface and we use slurm to queue and run the jobs. I'm using VirtualBox to create a sandbox for development.

I've set slurm up, but when I queue a job and run squeue I get:

$ squeue
             JOBID PARTITION     NAME     USER ST       TIME  NODES NODELIST(REASON)
                 2     debug  test.sh pchandle PD       0:00      1 (Nodes required for job are DOWN, DRAINED or reserved for jobs in higher priority partitions)

When I run it on my actual hardware, the jobs run successfully.

The output of sinfo is:

$ sinfo
PARTITION AVAIL  TIMELIMIT  NODES  STATE NODELIST
debug*       up   infinite      0    n/a 

Yes, it says nodes are 0, but the output is the same on my actual hardware, and jobs run fine. Any suggestions on why it's saying 0 nodes?

Is this an issue with my setup, or is simply not possible to run slurm on VirtualBox due to the hardware limitations? I'm running 4 CPUs. The only obvious difference I can see is that threads per core is only 1 (there are 2 on my local hardware).

Is there anyway to debug why the nodes aren't running jobs? Or why there are no nodes available?

1 Answers

It turned out to be a configuration error.

In the config file /etc/slurm-llnl/slurm.conf, I'd left the configuration NodeName as the default NodeName=localhost[0-31]. Since I am running on a single host it should have been set to NodeName=localhost for a single node on the same machine.

Slurm Single Instance had a description of what the values should be set to, which helped me find the answer.

Install Slurm on a stand alone Ubuntu had the instructions I originally followed.

Related