GNOME application startup latency - reasons

Viewed 62

When starting applications under Debian and GNOME I get big startup latencies. Even a simple calculator or a tiny text editor need around 1 second until they show a window. What happens during this time? The only application being faster is the clock which still has noticeable latency but not a big one.

Under Windows I do not know such a behaviour. Every small programm is ready immediately after having clicked the start icon. I notice this problem since decades under Linux regardless of what distribution or desktop environment. While Windows is ready Linux does something...

But WHAT?

Thanks in advance for any explanation and of course any idea what can be done agianst this as it's a useless waste of time.

1 Answers

This could be any number of things. What's the machine you're running on? What services do you have running?

If you have your /home directory on a separate partition, particularly an HDD, you will experience slowdown even if your boot is on an SSD, since programs store their settings in /home.

Related