How to setup Selenium 4 for old Chrome version?

Viewed 385

By some project reasons I have to use Selenium 4 (4.0.0-rc3) and Chrome version 71. Of course the current chromedriver (version 94) doesn't work with old chrome.

I have downloaded the source code of chromium project for debugging and try to understand how actually driver works with selenium. Probably I will try to make my own driver version but at this moment it seems like an inefficient solution.

I am really stuck with this and will be happy to get any advice. Is it possible just to configure driver by capabilities (or any parameters) for working with old chrome?

2 Answers

The Chrome version you're targeting Chrome 71 is already deprecated. Using Selenium 4 with this much obsolete version of Chrome will not work and I think apart from creating your own code piece, there is nothing much you can do.

Using such an obsolete piece of software, in this age of internet, will open a pot of bugs for you, and if you use this to connect to internet, then chances are people may exploit any hidden security vulnerabilities to attack your application.

I would strongly suggest you to talk within your project team to use an updated version of Chrome.

Related