What other logic gates can be added to the set {XOR} to form a universal set?

Viewed 207

I am having problem with the following question:

The set {XOR} is not a complete set, that is, XOR is not a universal gate. Add another logic gate into the set to make the new set a complete set, and prove that it is complete.

A NOT gate can be achieved through the use of XOR and a And gate can be represented through the a combination of a NOT gate and XOR gate.

I cannot figure out the second gate that I should use. Do I simply add an OR gate to the set because I feel that it is not answering the question.

Additionally, I would like to know if my understanding of a Universal Set is correct: A universal set should be able to represent {AND, OR, NOT}

Edit: It's not possible to create an And gate with XOR gate alone.

1 Answers
Related