Is Redis cache effective for simple windows application(management software)?

Viewed 155

I want to implement caching on a simple desktop application. And I am using WPF .NET Framework. So, is Redis cache could be effective considering the portability? Or is there any best option available?

3 Answers

I don't suggest using Redis cache for the WPF desktop app. Why? it makes your application depends on a third-party app. it seems in .Net there is a solution for caching in-memory and persisting on a file. You can find more about it on this LINK

If you need a cache for a simple solution, I suggest you use the InMemory cache. But if you are making a complex solution you should definitely consider a Distributed Cache (e.g. Distributed Redis Cache ), and the reason is that Distributed Cache is:

  1. Is coherent (consistent) across requests to multiple servers.
  2. Survives server restarts and app deployments. And that's because your cache is usually in a different location (e.g. Azure)
  3. Doesn't use local memory.
  4. Is scalable

For more details for InMemory cache read

For more details for Distributed cache read

Memurai could be an option. It is a native Windows port of Redis.

Related