I created a Python program that integrates a given function over a given interval using Monte Carlo simulation. It works well, except for the fact that it runs painfully slow when you want higher levels of accuracy (larger N value). I figured I'd give multiprocessing a try in order to speed it up, but then I realized I have no clue how to implement it. Here's what I have right now:
from scipy import random
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from multiprocessing import Process
import os
# GOAL: Approximate the integral of a function f(x) from lower bound a to upper bound b using Monte Carlo simulation
# bounds of integration
a = 0
b = np.pi
# function to integrate
def f(x):
return np.sin(x)
N = 10000
areas = []
def mcIntegrate():
for i in range(N):
# array filled with random numbers between limits
xrand = random.uniform(a, b, N)
# sum the return values of the function of each random number
integral = 0.0
for i in range(N):
integral += f(xrand[i])
# scale integral by difference of bounds divided by amount of random values
ans = integral * ((b - a) / float(N))
# add approximation to list of other approximations
areas.append(ans)
if __name__ == "__main__":
processes = []
numProcesses = os.cpu_count()
for i in range(numProcesses):
process = Process(target=mcIntegrate)
processes.append(process)
for process in processes:
process.start()
for process in processes:
process.start()
# graph approximation distribution
plt.title("Distribution of Approximated Integrals")
plt.hist(areas, bins=30, ec='black')
plt.xlabel("Areas")
plt.show()
Can I get some help with this implementation?
Took advice from the comments and used multiprocessor.Pool, and also cut down on some operations by using NumPy instead. Went from taking about 5min to run to now about 6sec (for N = 10000). Here's my implementation:
import scipy
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import multiprocessing
import os
# GOAL: Approximate the integral of function f from lower bound a to upper bound b using Monte Carlo simulation
a = 0 # lower bound of integration
b = np.pi # upper bound of integration
f = np.sin # function to integrate
N = 10000 # sample size
def mcIntegrate(p):
xrand = scipy.random.uniform(a, b, N) # create array filled with random numbers within bounds
integral = np.sum(f(xrand)) # sum return values of function of each random number
approx = integral * ((b - a) / float(N)) # scale integral by difference of bounds divided by sample size
return approx
if __name__ == "__main__":
# run simulation N times in parallel and store results in array
with multiprocessing.Pool(os.cpu_count()) as pool:
areas = pool.map(mcIntegrate, range(N))
# graph approximation distribution
plt.title("Distribution of Approximated Integrals")
plt.hist(areas, bins=30, ec='black')
plt.xlabel("Areas")
plt.show()