I have a C++ class container that allocates, lets say, 1GB of memory of plain objects (e.g. built-ins).
I need to copy part of the object to the GPU.
To accelerate and simplify the transfer I want to register the CPU memory as non-pageable ("pinning"), e.g. with cudaHostRegister(void*, size, ...) before copying.
(This seems to be a good way to copy further subsets of the memory with minimal logic. For example if plain cudaMemcpy is not enough.)
Is it safe to pass a pointer that points to only part of the original allocated memory, for example a contiguous 100MB subset of the original 1GB.
I may want to register only part because of efficiency, but also because deep down in the call trace I might have lost information of the original allocated pointer.
In other words, can the pointer argument to cudaHostRegister be the something else other than an allocated pointer? in particular an arithmetic result deriving from allocated memory, but still within the allocated range.
It seems to work but I don't understand if, in general, "pinning" part of an allocation can corrupt somehow the allocated block.
UPDATE: My concern is that allocation is actually mentioned in the documentation for the cudaHostRegister flag options:
cudaHostRegisterDefault: On a system with unified virtual addressing, the memory will be both mapped and portable. On a system with no unified virtual addressing, the memory will be neither mapped nor portable.
cudaHostRegisterPortable: The memory returned by this call will be considered as pinned memory by all CUDA contexts, not just the one that performed the allocation.
cudaHostRegisterMapped: Maps the allocation into the CUDA address space. The device pointer to the memory may be obtained by calling cudaHostGetDevicePointer().
cudaHostRegisterIoMemory: The passed memory pointer is treated as pointing to some memory-mapped I/O space, e.g. belonging to a third-party PCIe device, and it will marked as non cache-coherent and contiguous.
cudaHostRegisterReadOnly: The passed memory pointer is treated as pointing to memory that is considered read-only by the device. On platforms without cudaDevAttrPageableMemoryAccessUsesHostPageTables, this flag is required in order to register memory mapped to the CPU as read-only. Support for the use of this flag can be queried from the device attribute cudaDeviceAttrReadOnlyHostRegisterSupported. Using this flag with a current context associated with a device that does not have this attribute set will cause cudaHostRegister to error with cudaErrorNotSupported.