Given is a directed tree (igraph graph) constructed from a dataframe containing a symbolic edgelist:
library(igraph)
library(ggraph)
#Create a symbolic edge list.
edgelist_df <- data.frame("from" = c("A", "A", "A", "B", "B", "B", "C", "D", "D", "E",
"E", "F", "G", "G", "H", "I", "I", "J", "J", "J"),
"to" = c("B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K",
"L", "M", "N", "O", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T", "U"))
#Create a directed tree from this edgelist.
graph <- graph_from_data_frame(d = edgelist_df, directed = TRUE)
Plot the tree. Here I'm using package ggraph with function ggraph.
ggraph(graph = graph,
layout = 'dendrogram',
circular = FALSE) +
geom_edge_diagonal() +
geom_node_point() +
geom_node_text(aes(label = name),
angle = 0,
hjust = 1.5,
nudge_y = 0,
size = 5) +
theme_void()
The question is how to return a character vector containing the names of all leaf nodes from a subtree that is specified by one node, representing the root node of that subtree. For example:
- If node = "B", then all leaf nodes that are part of the subtree with root "B" are: "K", "L", "M", "N" and "O".
- If node = "H", then all leaf nodes that are part of the subtree with root "H" are: "P".
- If node = "A", then all leaf nodes that are part of the subtree with root "A" (which is the original tree) are: "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T" and "U".
