I have a CSV file with trip data:
Trip ID,Depart Time,Arrive Time,Depart Timezone,Arrive Timezone
1,08/29/21 09:00 PM,08/29/21 09:45 PM,GMT-04:00,GMT-04:00
2,08/29/21 10:00 PM,08/30/21 01:28 AM,GMT-04:00,GMT-04:00
3,08/30/21 01:29 AM,08/30/21 01:30 AM,GMT-04:00,GMT-04:00
4,08/30/21 01:45 AM,08/30/21 03:06 AM,GMT-04:00,GMT-04:00
5,08/30/21 03:08 AM,08/30/21 03:58 AM,GMT-04:00,GMT-04:00
6,08/30/21 03:59 AM,08/30/21 04:15 AM,GMT-04:00,GMT-04:00
I can read this file into a dataframe:
trips = pd.read_csv("trips.csv", sep=',')
What I would like to accomplish is to add a column 'duration' which gives me the trip duration in minutes. The trip duration has to be calculated as the difference between the trip arrival time and the trip departure time. In the above table, the 'depart time' is relative to the 'Depart Timezone'. Similarly, the 'Arrive Time' is relative to the 'Arrive Timezone'. Note that in the above example, the arrival and departure dates, as well as the arrival and departure time zones happen to be the same, but this does not hold in general for my data.