I am estimating a simple lmtree model using partykit library on R.
In this estimation I have a dependent variable y, an explanatory variable x, and a set of partitioning variables z.
Some of my partitioning variables have a high quantity of missing values, and I noticed that the final estimated model sample size is net of all the missing values in those few categories. This implies that, as far as at least one of the partitioning variables have a missing value in my data frame, the entire row is removed from the estimation and I lose the information provided by all the rest of non-missing partitioning variables.
To solve this problem in more traditional conditional inference trees estimations is used the surrogate splitting (for example, with ctree_control function from partykit you can select the maxsurrogate performed in the ctree estimation).
Is it possible to perform surrogate splitting also in lmtree (model-based recursive partitioning)?