Server-side GTM billing quota exceeded

Viewed 365

I would like to try server-side GTM. So I did the process of creating a server GTM on GCP. Automatically provision tagging server was failed. Error Reported: Google Cloud platform billing quota exceeded. So I tried Manually provision tagging server which passed me without problems. I have several projects running in GCP . And I have set up a billing account which is cleared and used every month . What exactly is the problem and how to set up?

Thanks

2 Answers

This is a common problem in case you are already a user of GCP and exceeded the free tier limit. You can have only one Free testing sGTM instance on one account.

If you already used the Free tier or want to create one more testing server there is no possibility to do this for free and automatically.

For manual server provisioning you can follow official documentation

Also as an option I can recommend to try Stape as much cheaper and easier to setup alternative for GTM Server Side hosting. There you can create infinity free servers for sGTM on one account.

For example you can follow this article on how to setup free server for Server Side GTM: https://stape.io/how-to-set-up-google-tag-manager-server-side-container/

This just happened to us and the problem is a very basic one. Apparently by default one billing account in GCP can be tied to 5 projects (who knew :) ). You're probably at that limit and that's what Google Tag Manager interface means by "Google Cloud platform billing quota exceeded" --> you're trying to add the 6th project to that account.

Two options comes to mind to solve that:

  1. Create a new billing account (with the same credit card if you want) and tie your new server project to that account
  2. Request for a quota increase from here so your billing account is able to handle more projects

Alternatively you can do 1, then do 2, and when your request is approved change the billing account of the project that contains your GTM server.

Related