DSM7: Secure connection to Synology NAS in LAN (no letsencrypt)

Viewed 1471

I know from this page that there should be a way to use self-signed certificates in my LAN in order to establish encrypted connections between my computers and my local synology NAS.

In essence it says:

It has two prerequisites:

Your Diskstation must have a fixed IP address on your LAN. You must be able to add or assign certificates to devices you want to approve your SSL. If you can satisfy those conditions, proceed with the following steps:

In DSM 6.0 -> Control Panel -> Security -> Certificate

Click “Add” to start the process and choose “Create self-signed certificate”

First you create a Certificate Authority (CA) which is the master key that will sign the site usable SSL.

However in my case (DSM 7.0-41890) I cannot see any options saying "create self signed certificate"

Does anybody know how to do this with DSM 7?

I don't need 100% security, I just want the communication between devices in my network to be encrypted. I don't want any malicious program in my network to be able to see passwords in clear text by just monitoring network traffic...

2 Answers

There should be a subsection called "Add a new certificate", in which you can create a new self-signed certificate. A friend told me about this, I wasnt able to check it myself, so I apologize in advance in case it does not work.

I think they remove this possibility in dsm 7, it was in 6

Related