I just added a feature on a website to allow users to log in with Facebook. As part of the authentication workflow Facebook forwards the user to a callback URL on my site such as below.
https://127.0.0.1?facebook-login-callback?code.....#_=_
Note the trailing #_=_ (which is not part of the authentication data, Facebook appears to add this for no clear reason)
Upon receiving the request in the backend I validate the credentials, create a session for the user, then forward them to the main site using a Location header in the HTTP response.
I've inspected the HTTP response via my browser developer tools and confirmed I have set the location header as.
Location: https://127.0.0.1/
The issue is that the URL that appears in the browser address bar after forwarding is https://127.0.0.1/#_=_
I don't want the user to see this trailing string. How can I ensure it is removed when redirecting the user to a new URL?
The issue happens in all browsers I have tested. Chrome, Firefox, Safari and a few others
I know a similar question has been answered in other threads however there is no jquery or javascript in this workflow as in the other threads. All the processing of the login callback happens in backend code exlusively.
EDIT
Adding a bounty. This has been driving up the wall for some time. I have no explanation and don't even have a guess as to what's going on. So I'm going to share some of my hard earned Stackbux with whoever can help me.
Just To be clear on a few points
- There is no Javascript in this authentication workflow whatsoever
- I have implemented my own Facebook login workflow without using their Javascript libraries or other third party tools, it directly interacts with the Facebook REST API using my own Python code in the backend exclusively.
Below are excerpts from the raw HTTP requests as obtained from Firefox inspect console.
1 User connects to mike.local/facebook-login and is forwarded to Facebook's authentication page
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: nginx/1.19.0
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:44:30 GMT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Length: 0
Connection: keep-alive
Location: https://www.facebook.com/v12.0/dialog/oauth?client_id=XXX&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fmike.local%2Ffacebook-login-callback&state=XXXX
2 User accepts and Facebook redirects them to mike.local/facebook-login-callback
HTTP/3 302 Found
location: https://mike.local/facebook-login-callback?code=XXX&state=XXX#_=_
...
Requested truncated here. Note the offending #_=_ in the tail of the Location
3 Backend processes the tokens Facebook provides via the user forwarding, and creates a session for the user then forwards them to mike.local. I do not add #_=_ to the Location HTTP header as seen below.
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: nginx/1.19.0
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:44:31 GMT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Length: 0
Connection: keep-alive
Location: https://mike.local/
Set-Cookie: s=XXX; Path=/; Expires=Fri, 01 Jan 2038 00:00:00 GMT; SameSite=None; Secure;
Set-Cookie: p=XXX; Path=/; Expires=Fri, 01 Jan 2038 00:00:00 GMT; SameSite=Strict; Secure;
4 User arrives at mike.local and sees a trailing #_=_ in the URL. I have observed this in Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Edge.
I have confirmed via the Firefox inspect console there are no other HTTP requests being sent. In other words I can confirm 3 is the final HTTP response sent to the user from my site.
