I am trying to filter a text file with columns based on two conditions. Due to the size of the file, I cannot use the column numbers (as there are thousands and are unnumbered) but need to use the column names. I have searched and tried to come up with multiple ways to do this but nothing is returned to the command line.
Here are a few things I have tried:
awk '($colname1==2 && $colname2==1) { count++ } END { print count }' file.txt
to filter out the columns based on their conditions
and
head -1 file.txt | tr '\t' | cat -n | grep "COLNAME
to try and return the possible column number related to the column.
An example file would be:
ID ad bd
1 a fire
2 b air
3 c water
4 c water
5 d water
6 c earth
Output would be: 2 (count of ad=c and bd=water)