I try to implement a example using R in Simulation (2006, 4ed., Elsevier) by Sheldon M. Ross, which wants to generate a random permutation and reads as follows:
Suppose we are interested in generating a permutation of the numbers 1,2,... ,n
which is such that all n! possible orderings are equally likely.
The following algorithm will accomplish this by
- first choosing one of the numbers 1,2,... ,n at random;
- and then putting that number in position n;
- it then chooses at random one of the remaining n-1 numbers and puts that number in position n-1 ;
- it then chooses at random one of the remaining n-2 numbers and puts it in position n-2 ;
- and so on
Surely, we can achieve a random permutation of the numbers 1,2,... ,n easily by
sample(1:n, replace=FALSE)
For example
> set.seed(0); sample(1:5, replace=FALSE)
[1] 1 4 3 5 2
However, I want to get similar results manually according to the above algorithmic steps. Then I try
## write the function
my_perm = function(n){
x = 1:n # initialize
k = n # position n
out = NULL
while(k>0){
y = sample(x, size=1) # choose one of the numbers at random
out = c(y,out) # put the number in position
x = setdiff(x,out) # the remaining numbers
k = k-1 # and so on
}
out
}
## test the function
n = 5; set.seed(0); my_perm(n) # set.seed for reproducible
and have
[1] 2 2 4 5 1
which is obviously incorrect for there are two 2 . How can I fix the problem?