I have a raspberry pi that is both connected to the internet via Wlan and a local device via Ethernet. So it has two IPs; one for each endpoint.
This is how it looks like simplified when running ifconfig; with different IPs for privacy
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 189.168.200.110 netmask 0.0.0.0 broadcast 255.255.255.255
wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 189.168.201.79 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
This is the code that python is using to send a message to the device through the Ethernet with that gateway's ip
TCP_PORT = 3001
SERVER_IP_AD = "189.168.200.110"
CLIENT_IP_AD = "189.168.200.155"
BROADCAST_IP = "255.255.255.255"
def sendMessage(self, file_path, client_ip=CLIENT_IP_AD):
print('message en route')
s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s.bind((self.SERVER_IP_AD, 0))
s.connect((client_ip, self.TCP_PORT)) #**ERROR IS HERE**
MESSAGE = self.openFile(file_path)
s.send(MESSAGE.encode())
data = s.recv(self.BUFFER_SIZE)
s.close()
return data
Using wireshark I can see that the package is being sent through the Wlan interface instead of the Ethernet interface with the correct IP source and IP destination.
How do I tell python to use the correct interface when sending out the package?